Showing 1155 results

Authority record
Untitled
GB 2198 000737

The Waterhouse Building was commissioned in 1866 and built 1868-70 on the site of the early 17th century Perse and Legge buildings. The design included alterations to the chapel and the back of Gonville Court, and involved the removal of the Gate of Humility from its original site. Major internal alterations were carried out from 1968 to 1975.

Untitled
GB 2198 000740

74 Trumpington Street, Cambridge

Untitled
GB 2198 000748

Architects, 38 Alfred Place London WC1 and 1 Pemberton Place,Cambridge

Untitled
GB 2198 000750

Architects, 38 Alfred Place London WC1 and 1 Pemberton Place,Cambridge

Untitled
GB 2198 000766

(1856-1937) Architect and archaeologist.

(For further information aregarding Warren's architectural work at Caius, see the appendices to Volume IV of the Biographical History of Caius)

Untitled
GB 2198 000776

Cambridge.

Untitled
GB 2198 000778

Architects, Cambridge.

Untitled
GB 2198 000812

Architect and Junior Bursar, Caius.

Untitled
GB 2198 000816

In 1887 the College acquired the houses on the south side of Rose Crescent and converted them into College rooms. These were demolished in 1901 to make way for a building by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell. St, Michael's Court, as this area surrounding St. Michael's church became known, was extended in 1934-6. J. Murray Easton was employed to demolish the old buildings on the north side of the Market Square and replace them with a building stretching from Rose Crescent to St. Mary's Court. The ground floor frontage onto Rose Crescent was substantially refitted in 1979-80 to allow for commerical development. The surviving plans cover each stage of these building and redevelopment programmes, as well as a model for an unrealised scheme to locate the College Library in St. Michael's Court.

The College's block of property around St. Michael's Church is completed by a number of properties on the corner of Market Hill and Trinity Street. Known as St. Mary's Court, these properties, like St. Michael's Court, offer commerical accommodation at street level, and College rooms on the upper floors.

(For further information regarding these buildings, see the Biographical History, volumes IV, VI and VIII)

Untitled
GB 2198 000826

Of Solihull

Untitled
GB 2198 000838

74 Trumpington Street, Cambridge

Untitled
GB 2198 000839

Architects. 38 Alfred Place, London.

Untitled
GB 2198 000844

Architects, Cambridge and London.

Untitled
GB 2198 000845

Architects, London and Cambridge

Untitled
GB 2198 000850

In early times the main value of a Fellowship or scholarship consisted not of money but the right to rooms and commons. The actual money received was small and most of this depended on the recipient having resided in college. Accordingly, books were kept in which the days of departure, and return to college, are recorded. So long as these 'Absence Books' were kept up there is now information, with almost the detail of a journal, of the coming and going of each scholar and Fellow. The earliest of this genre of book commences in 1592 (Exit and Redit Book). The early books include only the people who were 'on the foundation'. By 1962 the Absence Book had changed to become a record of rooms occupied in college. There is no records as to the residence of the ordinary pensioners and the fellow-commoners until the ealiest of the 'Cooks' books' which commenced about 1775.

Untitled
GB 2198 000857

The Council has its roots in the distinction between Senior and Junior Fellows established in the late sixteenth century, of which the Master and Senior Fellows formed an inner cabinet. It evolved through the statutory reforms of the nineteenth and early twentieth century into a body consisting of the Master, two other ex officio members, the Bursar and the Senior Tutor, and ten elected members representing the remainder of the fellowship. The Council is the executive body of the College for all but changes of statutes. It deals with elections or appointments to fellowships, scholarships and College offices, and management of estates, buildings and finance; although it may also consult the General Meeting of Fellows or representatives of the student body.

Untitled
GB 2198 000883

A record of the date of arrival and departure each term of members of the foundation, the fellows and scholars. Such a record was required because eligibility for certain degrees and examinations depended upon a number of terms having been 'kept' or spent in residence.

Untitled
GB 2198 000907

(1926-75) Economist. Admitted as Fellow of Gonville and Caius College Cambridge, 1958-75; College Lecturer and Director of Studies in Economics. Registrary, 1963-72. Reader in Economics, University of Cambridge, 1970-75.

(For further biographical information, see obituary in The Caian, 1975-6)

Untitled
GB 2198 000991

Founded in 1947, the Medical Society comprised members of the College who were medical students, graduates and Honorary Members. It was organised by a Committee of Year Representatives, a President, Vice President and a Secretary who were elected annually. A senior member of the College would act as Senior Treasurer and the Vice President was Junior Treasurer. Meetings were held at least once a term where papers were presented or film shows given.

Untitled
GB 2198 000996

The Society was founded in 1864 by seven members of the College. Their objective was to form a Society to promote the study of general literature within the College. It was organised by three officers, the President, Secretary and Treasurer, who were self appointed. The Society was open to all members of the College and met every Saturday at 5.45pm.