Trust set up by William Munro Tapp.
Wiiliam Monro Tapp (m.1877, BA 1881, LLM 1884, LLD 1893, BH Vol II p.430) on 22 October 1926 conveyed to the MFGCC certain freehold and leasehold properties in the parish of Enfield and in the parish of St George Hanover Square Middlesex upon trust subject to a life interest and the life interest of six annuitants. Following the expiration of the life interests, the estate was placed at the disposal of the Master and Fellows, with the suggestion that the income be used for the upkeep of Heacham Lodge or for the augmentation of the College Building Fund.
Curator, Whipple Museum of the History of Science.
Photographer, Cambridge.
Johann Georg Teichmann (1676-1737) was a Ranger in the Royal Brandenburg Service and became Master Forester of Ansbach. He was the great great great great grandfather of Oskar Teichman (matriculated 1898).
The Bastards were a group of six Caians, H.C. Luttman, A.G. Cross, G.C.D. Roberts, N.H. Roberts, F.L. Freeman, and R.N. Stott, who met through punt-racing, and established an initiation ceremony of sipping alcohol through a straw. After leaving Caius they met for annual reunions at which group photographs were taken.
Cambridge.
The Caius Club was founded in 1906 as an association of old Caians. Its purpose was to keep members of the College in touch with one another by means of an address list and an annual dinner. The Club arose from a proposal made at the Annual London dinner of Caians in July 1906, made by Harold Claughton Scott, secretary of that dinner. The membership of the Club is open to Caians who choose to subscribe, rather than being constituted of the whole body of alumni.
The Club was founded on the 21st October 1921, under the inspiration of the Dean, the Reverend Joseph Wellington Hunkin. The Rules stated that the club should be comprised of between 20 - 30 undergraduate members and Honorary members elected from the postgraduates and Fellows. The Club was managed by a President, Vice President who also acted as Treasurer, a Secretary and a Committee of two, elected at the beginning of each term by the General Meeting of the Club. It claimed to be responsible for the organisation of 'comic relief' in the College and endeavoured to produce at least one public performance a term.
(For further information regarding the history of the Co-optimists, see C.N.L. Brooke, History of Gonville and Caius College (1996), pp.262-3, which also cross-refers to a number of articles in the College magazine, The Caian)
Braintree, Essex.
The Gonville Gargoyles were founded in 1934, taking their name from the gargoyles on the Waterhouse building in Tree Court of Gonville and Caius College. They were an oligarchical standing committee of undergraduates who effectively acted as the representative body of the students; liaising with the Senior Members on matters of concern and organising events, such as the May Ball. Membership of the club was restricted to twelve, who were elected by open discussion, rather than ballot, of the members; and expenses were met by subscription. By a College vote of 1963, the undergraduates voted to replace the Gargoyles as their representative body with a directly elected JCR committee. The Gargoyles continued to meet until c.1967, being involved in the organisation of the 1967 May Ball. And continued to organise occasional social events until the early 1980s.